Pelvic floor physiotherapy is physical therapy that relates to the lower pelvic area; also known as your pelvic floor. Your pelvic floor is made up of layers of muscles that span the bottom the pelvis. They act like sling to support and assist with function of your bowels, bladder and uterus, as well as assist with sexual function.
Many people, both men and women seek treatment for pelvic conditions. You may be experiencing symptoms related to dysfunction and not even know it. How do you know if pelvic floor physio can help you? Well, here are a few benefits of pelvic floor physiotherapy.
- pelvic pain
- urinary incontinence
- bowel and bladder function
- pre and post natal issues
- pain with intercourse
Many people suffer in silence when it comes to pelvic floor issues. You don’t need to suffer any longer. Knowing what is normal and not normal is important to taking action. Don’t let common misconceptions such as:
- It is a misconception to think that it is normal to have urinary leakage after childbirth
- It is a misconception to think it is normal to have urinary leakage as you age
- It is a misconception to think there is nothing you can do about urinary leakage
stop you from caring for your body.
Pelvic dysfunction can happen to anyone and at any age. Pelvic conditions actually are more common than you think. You may be at risk of developing pelvic floor conditions if you have the following conditions:
- Female and Post menopause (hormone changes)
- Pregnancy and Childbirth (Multiparous: having had more than one child)
- Obstetric trauma (forceps, suction, tearing)
- Gynaecological or Urinary surgery
- Chronic Illness
- Medication and Smoking
- Chronic straining
- Radical Prostatectomy and Prostate enlargement for men
Stop suffering in silence and get back to the life you once enjoyed with a pelvic floor consult today.
Looking for a pelvic floor physiotherapist near you? We offer pelvic floor physiotherapy in Mississauga. Call 905-814-9355 or book online .